Monday, August 1, 2016

Metallica @ Lollapalooza 8/1/15: A Retrospective

photo credit: Jeff Yeager
(most photo credits to Sandee, best Wife ever!)




Lollapalooza . . . a gem of the 90s music scene, the touring festival that gave one indie credibility and some sort of bragging rights.  In its earliest years, to be honest, it never really caught my radar outside of the scant MTV News clip, as I really had no interest (or at least maybe a passing interest) in most of the bands that stacked those early lineups.  That all changed, of course, when Metallica headlined in 1996. 


Although I'm still kicking myself for not catching that tour -- it would have been my first Metallica show, but I really had no idea as to how to get tickets for concerts back then! -- all I can do now is look back and photos and the scant bootleg recordings I've seen from it.  Just recently, I got a DVD of Metallica's performance from the Randalls Island, NY 7/10/96 stop which, along with three proshot video clips and soundboard B-sides from the Irvine, CA 8/4/96 show, completes my Lollapalooza '96 experience.  One thing that I do remember quite fondly though, was the vehement animosity towards Metallica for headlining the festival that year.  As Load was just released, the band were already experiencing a bit of flack from their fans, but now the "Alternative" crowd was giving them shit for ruining their precious festival! 


Years would go by and different lineups would come to pass, but I'd always skip Lollapalooza (in its touring format) and, even after it found its permanent home in Chicago as a destination festival, I always opted to skip it -- and get the hell outta dodge, too!  However, I always secretly hoped that Metallica would one day return to the festival and headline it, thereby giving me an excuse to finally check it out . . . 2015 answered my prayers!


In recent years, as Lollapalooza would slowly announce its lineup, I'd say in my circles, there was always a rumor of Metallica playing it -- unless, of course, they had summer dates in Europe booked for whatever weekend the festival was scheduled for.  The rumors of their 2015 headlining slot crept up very quickly, with only my buddy Matt reminding me about it the day before the lineup was announced and one-day passes went on sale.  That day, of course, I was deep in jury duty (cue the dramatic music of doom!), but I was still able to access my phone and remained logged into the website all morning. 


Then, of course, I couldn't secure tickets for my wife, Sandee, and me!  Frustration abounded, but since I was still in jury duty, I had to keep a calm head and remain cool.  My persistence finally paid off and I was able to secure passes!   Then, of course, the talk about where we'd actually watch the show from came up . . . now, if you know me, I'm not one to simply watch from the back or the nosebleeds.  Especially if it's a band I love (like Metallica) and have seen many times from the rail, with band members in my face, etc....there's just no simply "let's watch from the back" in my vocabulary. 


"But it's a festival...arena shows are for the rail" was one retort I heard a lot of.  I silently agreed...but still, the wheels turned as to how me and Wife (and Matt and his wife Jackie) would make sure we had the best viewing spot for this show.  At that point, I really didn't care much for the rest of the festival or the lineup...this was Metalli-palooza '15 yo!  As the date drew closer, I hoped and prayed that the band would announce Snakepit passes or, even an on-stage contest which they had done the year prior in Europe to great success.  FINALLY, at the few US dates prior to Lolla, when they had on-stage winners, I knew we'd have it for our show . . . but then there was the contest itself.  Almost as exciting as entering for a Meet & Greet contest!  Low and behold, I won and although I couldn't really believe it myself, I was still of the mindset that, if you put your mind to something -- no matter how insane it may be -- it can happen!


As the days ticked down to the show itself, my anticipation grew and grew; I'd shown pictures to Wife and family of the previous shows that had fans on-stage and said "That's gonna be us!"  I started to plan out just where I wanted to be on the stage...as if I had the option of "Well, where would you like to be?" anyway!  But still...I never gave up. 


The morning of the show, the four of us hit up a fancy lunch with our friends Chris and Jenn (it was her first time seeing Metallica) . . . but before that, we had to take care of one important piece of the puzzle:  picking up our on-stage wristbands! 


Wristbands secured!
For me, it was Christmas Morning all day!  At this point in the day, I don't think any of us knew quite what to expect...


Once we got to the venue, it was a complete clusterfuck trying to get through security -- though, MAJOR props to those folks for making sure everyone is safe at Lolla.  After all six of us getting through the gates, we milled about and checked out the merch stands.  One cool benefit of the festival are the locker stations, so we were able to keep all of our merch and other supplies stashed for the duration of the day.  Not bad.  The Samsung Galaxy stage (or Main Stage) was at the far end of the festival area . . . honestly, it doesn't seem that large when there is no festival going on and it's just empty softball fields but man, what a hike from Buckingham Fountain (yes, the Married...With Children fountain) to the main stage! 


While waiting for confirmation as to where we were all supposed to meet up to be lead on-stage, a small community of MetClubbers gathered in shaded hilltop area, stage-left.  This wasn't actually a bad view of the show, but come on...we're going on-stage!




One thing about Metallica shows, no matter where in the country or globe, is that they're always family reunions!  It was great seeing folks who I hadn't seen since the second Fillmore show in San Francisco on 12/7/11 (some of whom I'd known/talked to online for years before finally meeting at that show).  KISS has the KISS Army...the Grateful Dead have the Deadheads....Metallica has the MetClub (or Fifth Members as we're called now).  Still, at this point in the day, my anticipation was rising as I was sizing up the situation and trying to ensure we'd all have a good time. 


After what seemed like a few hours, we finally got the call to move down towards the stage . . . my heart sank as I saw a ton of people come through and head backstage.  My thoughts were that they'd get the primo spots on-stage...but nope, they were either just going back to the actual backstage area which was like a small village, as I didn't see too many of them once we got up there.


Waiting in line to go backstage.
Once we got back there, it seemed like the Lolla people or local crew had no idea where we were supposed to line up.  My heart again sank as it seemed like we were in the very back of the line as we moved to one spot....only find out that we were near the front of the line when we were told go back to another spot! 


You remember that scene in Jaws where Robert Shaw's Quint is recounting the Indianapolis story and their rescue from shark-infested waters and says "You know time when I was most frightened? Waitin' for my turn"?  That's how I felt as they lead us in small groups up a small flight of stairs to the wings of the backstage area.  This was it.  Almost there.  White-knuckle with anticipation!  At that point, you could probably have blown me over with a feather!


Finally...this was our view:



Yeah...that's a lot of people.
Surprisingly, it wasn't as intimidating as it could have been or maybe was for other Clubbers up there!  Sure, there was a bit of knee-jerk reaction to want to hide as soon as I stepped out there, but then, I almost immediately felt comfortable . . . aside from the many utterances of "Wow!" and "Hoe-leeee Shit!"  We were met with cheers amidst a scant boos and middle fingers . . . of which both of my middle fingers were returned!  Everyone up on stage were polite and friendly...everyone had a great spot to see the action unfold . . .and then "The Ecstasy of Gold" started and we were ON . . . all of us on-stage singing along.


Before I knew it, Lars walks right past us to get to his drumkit and hands his drink to my friends Andrew and Tricia next to me. At this point, I was still holding out hope that they'd open with "Breadfan", but as soon as James Hetfield stepped up to the microphone with an announcement, I knew we're in for "Fuel" and with that, he demanded "Gimme Fuel, Gimme Fire, Gimme That Which I Desire!"  And, just like that, we were off to a kickass show . . .




Surprisingly -- or maybe not..I still haven't decided -- the crowd was into it from the very beginning.  I remember looking down at the kids in the front row and being glad I wasn't in their shoes as they were getting SMASHED against the rail by the 300,000 strong crowd.  Like the pros that they are, Metallica stormed onto the stage and had that crowd in the palm of their hands the instant they started playing! 
Not the view I'm used to!
(Pic lifted from WGN's website)


Kirk "The Ripper" Hammett melting faces!

Robert Trujillo thundering away!
After the next song, "For Whom The Bell Tolls", the band could have said "Thank you and good night" and the crowd would have been satisfied.  But no, they continued the show with "Wherever I May Roam" and "King Nothing" -- indicating that this was to be a "festival friendly" setlist without many deep cuts or rare gems.  However, without fail no matter how many times I see Metallica, they always seem to play about six or seven songs that I either haven't seen live ever or haven't seen live in forever . . . "King" had been absent for me since 2004, so it was a nice surprise.  Following that cut, Hetfield introduced some old stuff in "Disposable Heroes" which, from what I could tell, pretty much smashed the kids down in the crowd into dust. 




"Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" was up next and the beautiful Chicago skyline and cool, summer breeze all combined for a surreal mood during it. The band continued to blaze through a set of songs that easily could have been encores or show-stoppers almost one right after the other.  Finally, Hetfield addressed the crowd about how he had come the night before to see "Sir Paul Something...", which of course elicited many cheers.  He further explained how Paul McCartney (the previous night's headliner) had gotten some incredible crowd participation and that now it was Metallica's turn. As soon as they started "Cyanide", it seemed like the entire city of Chicago was chanting "Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey! Hey!"  In all my years, THIS must be what a European festival crowd looks like.  Simply amazing.  And, today, listening to the recording of this show, I still get goosebumps at this part because the crowd is so monstrously LOUD!


A short while later, "Creeping Death" reared its ugly head to wring some more crowd participation -- there's nothing quite like a few hundred thousand "hippies" chanting "Die! Die! Die! Die! Die!"  Hetfield broke a string on his white Flying V guitar because, well, the mood was way too metal for all six strings!   Kirk Hammett blasted through an extended/improvised solo at the end of the song... even Hetfield and Trujillo were stunned by how maniacal "The Ripper" was!
Throwin' out a double-barreled finger-point during "Creeping Death"


Matt throwing out his own finger-point during "Creeping Death"
Somewhere around this point, my buddy Andrew asked me about the banner that I had on me.  Earlier in the day, I said I had a banner proclaiming "Happy Birthday Papa Het" under the assumption that, given Hetfield's birthday was 2 days away, the band and crew would pie him in on-stage celebration!  "All in good time," I replied back, tapping my cargo pocket where the banner was folded up.  "All in good time." 


Up next was a song that I needed to hear once again, "Fade To Black".  Just like the last time I saw it played live -- MSG 11/15/09 -- I pretty much lost my mind during the intro.  After the vocals were done, I figured it was the opportune time to break out the banner . . . and the rest is history.  During Kirk's closing solo, James like to get the crowd to sing the rhythm melody that he's playing, and started his way down the line of kids on-stage, getting in everyone's faces and singing along with us.



Mind pretty much blown.
To say I was on Cloud 9 for the rest of the show would be an understatement!  Remember what I said about hearing songs that I either hadn't seen live yet or hadn't heard in a long while?  This was solidified by the one-two punch of covers "Whiskey In The Jar" (a Stateside rarity, btw) and "Am I Evil?" . . . I hadn't seen the latter since my first show in '97 and it was the first time I heard the intro for it.  Bonus!




The night ended with the usual "Nothing Else Matters" and "Enter Sandman", which literally blew the place up with energy and excitement.  Seriously...they've played that song 1,183 times since its live debut literally 25yrs ago today in Petaluma, CA!  If I were in a band, I'd kill for that just that one song that continues to have such an effect on large crowds (of course, Metallica have an entire catalog of tracks that do just that!). 
Kirk, waiting for James to start "Enter Sandman"



As the band was leaving the stage/handing out guitar picks and drumsticks, Kirk made his way down the on-stage backdrop, uttering a "share the picks" as he dropped a handful into my cupped hands.  Thanks Kirk!  The curfew must have been looming as the band didn't get to do their usual signing off bits before leaving the stage (I believe the Lolla people cut the power on the stage mics).  As Hetfield was leaving the stage, I still had my banner out, hoping he'd notice it and maybe trade me a wristband for it (I know...NERD) . . . just as he walked by, he gave me a point, a "Thank you" and a wink.


As we were all ushered off the stage, we were directed to a large cooler filled with bottled waters and sodas . . . when I noticed a clear Solo cup with raspberry pink lemonade in it and a Red Bull next to it.  "That's Lars'!" I exclaimed to Sandee.  We grabbed 'em both and a setlist -- which someone must have lifted from her back pocket!   The ice-cold, refreshing drinks were a nice capper to an incredible night!




During the show and immediately after it, I kept thinking "HOW is this gonna be topped the next time I see Metallica?"  It very likely can't and probably won't be!  It was a once in a lifetime moment -- though, if I'd gone to multiple shows last summer, I could have experienced it again -- that I'll NEVER forget and is a story I'll probably be telling in the nursing home someday!


Full setlist was:


Fuel
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Wherever I May Roam
King Nothing
Disposable Heroes
(Kirk Solo #1)
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Cyanide
The Unforgiven
Sad But True
(Bass Solo)
One
Master of Puppets
Creeping Death
(Kirk Solo #2)
Fade To Black
Seek & Destroy
-------------------
Whiskey In The Jar
Am I Evil?
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman






Check out the live recording of the show available over at LiveMetallica.com on CD and multiple digital formats!

No comments: